The United States of America. A country. A state of mind. A list of 50 beautiful things.
When I decided that I’d be taking an extended period of time away from my beloved land of baseball and apple pies, I decided that I needed to have one day where I soak in and enjoy everything that makes this country great. Of course, that begs the question, “What are the most American things?” Being the patriotic lover of democracy that I am, I decided that the best way to come up with an answer was to open up the question to my friends on social media. Expecting a small list of a few things- maybe even a handful- I was blown away when my fellow patriots came up with a Plymouth Rock-solid list of almost 75.
This was clearly too much to fit into one day, but the ideas were too great to shrink down too far, so I decided that my red, white, and blue day would just have to become a few red, white, and blue months. As of this writing I’ve got four months and a week before I leave, so I found it appropriate to pick the 50 most patriotic, soul-wrenchingly American things I could to be the man the founding fathers wanted me to be. I call it my 50 memories of America.
★★ 50 Memories of America ★★
- Watch Top Gun
- Read The Great Gatsby
- Listen to some Bruce Springsteen with the windows down in an American made car.
- Watch a John Wayne movie
- Watch Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
- Watch Rocky IV
- Watch Red Dawn (1984)
- Watch D2: The Mighty Ducks
- Watch Miracle
- Watch Independence Day
- Watch The Patriot
- Watch Yankee Doodle Dandy
- Listen to jazz and relax for at least a half hour.
- Read the National Edition of the USA Today
- Read a Captain America Comic
- Watch a Captain America Movie
- Listen to rap music that is critical of America and appreciate their freedom of speech, even though you may disagree
- Watch an episode of How It’s Made and appreciate the beauty that is American industry
Food and Drink
- Eat a Wisconsin brat.
- Drink a Wisconsin beer
- Eat some Wisconsin cheese curds.
- Have a classic American hot dog
- Eat apple pie
- Eat a piece of meat that’s far bigger than it has any reason to be
- Eat a simple burger and fries, without any fancy toppings
- Eat Chinese takeout, because nothing is more American than Americanizing other cultures’ food
- Deep fry at least four different foods to eat as a meal
- Drink a beer from at least 10 different states
- Eat buffalo wings while watching sports at a barfbuff
- Go to one of the Great Lakes
- Tailgate a baseball game
- Smoke a cigar while drinking some fine bourbon
- Shoot a gun
- Drink a PBR and listen to country music for at least a half hour
- Go camping in the beautiful American outdoors
- Call or write a letter to a senator or congressman
- Go to a tractor pull/demolition derby/car race type event
- Go to a museum
- Spend some time looking at the moon and appreciate that we’ve been there
- Sing Toby Keith at karaoke
- Light off fireworks
- Throw tea into a body of water
- Go on a brewery tour
- Enjoy a bonfire
- Cruise through town with the windows down in an American made car
- Memorize the Preamble to the Constitution
- Participate in a March Madness pool
- Wear American flag clothing for a day
- Vote in an Election